Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may discover effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or posttraumatic stress far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has proven psychotherapy to be the most effective form of treatment for trauma. Most commonly, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) are used in treating trauma.
I have a history of clinical experience and expertise working with clients that are experiencing trauma-based symptoms utilizing a variety of psychotherapy modalities including but not limited to Cognitive-Behavioral, EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing), the Flash Technique and Solution- Focused therapies.
Click on the following to get more information on the specific types of trauma that may pertain to your life experiences:
- Adult Trauma
- Adult Children of Trauma
- Racial/Cultural Trauma and Adversity
- Religious/Spiritual Trauma
If you or someone you know match the trauma symptoms listed above, reach out today so we can schedule an appointment.